Staff Computer Requests
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!
Faculty and staff may place their own requests for computer upgrades or replacements. One computer for each person who are employed at least half time by the College will be provided from a centralized budge. Other computers must be funded from other sources. Please read the information below to find out more about the process. If you still have questions, please contact the CIT Help Desk at x58197 or send us an email at email@example.com.
NOTE: This form is for requesting College computers only. It is not for personally-owned computers or student organizations.
- Your current computer is insufficient for performing College-related work.
- Your computer is no longer functioning.
In general, computers are replaced on a 5+ year cycle, however age alone is not a sufficient justification for replacement. Requests will be granted based on need, available funds, and whether the lifetime of the computer can be extended by upgrading RAM, system software and other updates.
Submitting Your Request
Submitting a computer request will be done using CIT's work order tracking system called FootPrints.
* Go to http://helpdesk.oberlin.edu/footprints/computerrequest.html and enter your Oberlin email address.
Not quite sure what we're asking for? The fields we require are listed below with additional guidance on how to fill them in:
- Request Summary: Please enter the computer user's first and last name. Additional information is not required here.
- Existing College-Issued Computer Type: To the best of your ability, describe your primary College-issued computer, with as much detail as possible (make, model, current operating system). If none, enter NA.
- Existing College-Issued Computer Serial Number: Most computers issued by CIT have a label on them indicating their serial number. If you have trouble finding the serial number, please call the Help Desk at x58197.
- Existing Peripheral Devices: If you have additional, non-networked devices (personal printers, PDAs, scanners, etc.) that you regularly connect directly to your computer, select them here. To select multiple items in the list, hold down the Control key while clicking on individual items.
- Requested Computer Type: Choose the type of computer you would like to receive. This does not have to be the same as the computer type you currently have.
- Why are you requesting a new computer?: What tasks do you use your computer for regularly? What would like to be able to do with your computer that you are currently unable to do (e.g., video editing, giving presentations in a classroom setting, travel with an easily portable machine)? Place information here that will help us determine what computer model and accessories best meet your needs.
- List Software You Currently Use: What non-standard software that you will need on your new computer? Common examples are Adobe products (e.g., Photoshop, Acrobat Pro, Dreamweaver). You do not need to list standard software such as Microsoft Office, iLife, iWork, Safari for Mac, Internet Explorer or Firefox.
- Notes: The system requires this field be filled in. Enter any other important information or just say "hi!"
What Happens After a Request is Submitted?
Once we've received your request, the Director of Desktop Resources will review your request in consultation with appropriate administrators. If your computer request is approved, the Oberlin Technology Store will place an order for your computer and, upon arrival, provide it to the applicable Client Services staff member (Mac and Windows), who will contact you to inform you of the approval. When the computer arrives, this Client Services staff member will set up your computer with all the required software and then will contact you to schedule a delivery time.
Computer deliveries for current faculty and staff will be conducted once per semester. In February, we will ask users to submit requests for delivery in March/April. In September, we will ask users to submit requests for delivery in October/November. Computer requests received outside these time frames will be processed during the next delivery cycle. A CIT Client Services representative will contact you to schedule a convenient date and time to deliver your new computer.
New faculty and staff will received their computers based upon their arrival date. Faculty arriving for the fall semester will receive their computers in July and August. Faculty arriving for the spring semester will receive their computers in January. Incoming staff will receive their computers as quickly as possible, as resources allow.
Exceptions are always made for critical situations such as non-functional systems. These will be taken care of as quickly as possible. Users should contact the CIT Help Desk as soon as issues become apparent (x58197, firstname.lastname@example.org).
More details for about the Replacement Budget (RB) process are available here.