Banner users can run Java 8 safely. However, users must adjust some Transport Layer Security (TLS) settings to enable Banner to run correctly. Those settings are displayed below. If you are uncomfortable changing these settings on your own or you require additional assistance, please call the CIT Help Desk at x58197 or email us at email@example.com.
Please note: All users, both those who have Windows as well as Macs, must make these TLS settings changes.
Changing TLS Settings for Windows
- Open the Control Panel for Java, click on the Advanced Tab, and scroll to the bottom. Do the following:
- Check ‘Use TLS 1.0’
- Uncheck ‘Use TLS 1.1’ and ‘Use TLS 1.2’.
- If ‘Use SSL 2.0 compatible ClientHello format’ is checked, then Uncheck it.
- Then click on the Security tab in the Control Panel for Java and check ‘Enable Java content in the browser.’
Extra Settings for Internet Explorer 10
- If you are running Internet Explorer 10 you will need to change additional settings in Internet Explorer's Internet Options as shown below:
Changing TLS Settings for Mac
- Open System Preferences
- Choose the Java Preference Pane (located in the bottom row) It will open a separate window.
- In the new window, please click the Advanced tab at the top.
- Scroll to the bottom and uncheck the boxes next to Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2
- Click Apply in the bottom right corner.
- Then click OK.
- You can quit System Preferences and restart your browser to have the settings take effect.