From CIT Wiki
CIT uses a product called Pharos Uniprint® to enable printing in the computer lab. Each lab is equipped with a Print Release Station, a computer with a card swipe. Once a user swipes her/his OCID card, the print jobs are shown and can be released. Funds are then decremented from, first, the user's Free Print Account (300 pages per semester for students (reset each semester with no carryover); as needed for faculty and staff), then, when that has been depleted, from the user's ObieDollar account.
Printing from Lab Computers
- Select Print from the File menu in the application you are using. The Print dialog box will appear. Make sure the appropriate print queue is selected (for the printer you wish to print from). All the lab computers are configured to print to the printer in that particular lab. (If you find this to not be the case, please send a message to email@example.com).
- When printing from the Academic Commons or Mudd A-level Macintosh computers, you may choose the "PHAROS Commons Color" printer if you desire to print in color. CIT will not reimburse users for documents unintentionally printed to the color printer. Color printing is not yet available from the Windows computers in those locations.
- Click the Print button and the print system Popup window will appear.
- Enter a username or login ID. Remember what you type so you can find your print job later at the Print Release Station. A password is not required, but it does protect your print job from being released by someone else.
- Go to the Print Release Station located near the printer and swipe your OCID or Guest Card to view your print jobs.
- Click on the tab labeled with the first letter of the username you provided. Your printout should appear in the list. Highlight the print job you wish to release, click on the Print button at the bottom of the screen, and retrieve your printout from the lab printer.
- If your print job does not come out of the printer, is smudged, mangled, or otherwise unreadable, please contact CIT immediately via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Printing from Personal Computers
It is possible for a student, using Windows only, to print from his or her own computer to most lab printers. In fact, these print jobs can be sent from dorm rooms and common spaces and picked up later!
Installing Pharos for Windows
- Go to http://pharos.oberlin.edu/uniprint/
- Select printer(s) you wish to install.
- Click "install button"
- Reboot when prompted.
- Read readme.txt for more information
If the installer fails to install and complains about upgrading all versions of Pharos before the installation can finish you may need to uninstall a previous version of Pharos before you install the new one.
Installing Pharos for Mac OS X
- Go to the Software Downloads page and download PharosForMac.zip (Save File).
- On your computer, double-click PharosForMac.zip to expand the file. The folder, "pharos sorted" will appear. In that folder, will be three subfolders indicating the capability to print double-sided. The folders are (1) "double avail but off", meaning double-sided is available for the listed printers but is off by default; you will need to select double-sided to use it, (2) "Double sided default", where double-sided printing is the default for the listed printers; if you desire to print single-sided, you must choose to do so; and (3) "No double sided", meaning double-sided printing is not available for the listed printers; only single sided printing is available for these.
- In one of these subfolders, select the file for the lab printer to which you desire to print.
- Double-click on that filename, which will be in in the form printername.dmg to create the Pharos installer, Popoup.pkg.
- Double-click on Popoup.pkg to start the installation process. Click "Continue", "Continue", select your hard drive for the disk on which to install (if asked), click "Install", enter your computer admin password (if requested), click "Ok", click "Close".
- Go to your default installation location (may be your Documents folder) and find the application, "PharosPrinters". Double click. You will now see a list of the available printers. Select the one you desire to use. You should get a popup window noting that printer has been installed. (Note: you can install other printers from this menu, as well.)
- Now, when you wish to print a document, that printer should be one of your available choices.
Black and White
Black and white sheets cost $0.10 per single-sided page and $0.14 per double-sided page.
Color sheets cost $1.00 per single-sided page and $2.00 per double-sided page.
Student Print Quota
All students are given $35 worth of free printing at the beginning of each semester.
Reimbursements for Lost Print Jobs
CIT will not reimburse users for lost/unreadable printouts costing less than $1.00. Instead, Free Print quota levels have been increased to account for such losses. For reimbursement of jobs costing more than $1.00, please email email@example.com with the following information:
- your full Oberlin email address (in the form firstname.lastname@example.org)
- your T#
- if you were using a Mac or a PC
- the name of the job (usually the name of the document or website)
- how many pages did not print
- whether the job was double-sided
- the lab in which the printer was located